I am not a big believer in “New Years Resolutions”. Time and time again resolutions last about as long as it takes to make them and while it is a great intention, in the end there is no results that come with the resolution.
Setting goals for the new year however, if done correctly will produce results. In an earlier post I talked about goal setting and how it can give you the results you are looking for. And so it is that time of the year that we look to the new year and set new goals. In Scouting Wood Badge terms, we “Write our ticket” for the new year and know that we will get the results that we want.
So for 2019 we are setting goals to be more healthy. Yeah, there will be other goals, but we think that our health drives much of how the rest of our lives will go.
Being healthier will make us happier, it will allow us to be more active, it will make us feel better, it will reduce our doctor visits, it will save us money in the long run, and it will give Teresa and I some together goals that will make us stronger.
Our Mission: To develop and Maintain a healthier life style, lose weight (10 lbs), and be more physically active.
1. Start eating better. Do more fat free and less processed food cooking at home (or in the RV). We will do this together and hold one another in account. We are doing this to set the tone for healthy habits and lose weight.
We will start now and evaluate how we are doing weekly. We want to see this as a solid habit by March.
2. Exercise. Exercise needs to be a habit also. To make sure we accomplish this as a habit we are going to add additional exercise elements to our routines.
We will add biking. Making sure that we take our bikes with us on camping outings. When at home we will work in biking at least once a week (weather permitting). When the weather is not in our favor we will do sit ups and squats those days we would be biking. As we are coming into the worst of the winter months in Oregon, we will double up on the sit ups and squats and reevaluate in February.
3. Gym Time! We will be in the gym daily. Weekends will be our rest days. Every day we will wake up and go to the gym (continuing the routine we have established since November). Teresa will maintain her work out routine and I will stay the course on the weight loss running program I am on. Using the Running for Weight Loss App. This app is available in the Google Play Store also. So far I really like it which will make it easier to keep as a habit. I am trying to lose 10 lbs by March. I will use the app to track that progress and stay on task.
4. Drink water. This will be a tough one. But water will become my go to beverage. I need to drink more water. To do this I will start taking a 1 liter water bottle with me all the time. This will serve both as a reminder to drink water and have water available all the time.
5. Complete a 5 K run. Not for time of competition, but just do it. There is one scheduled on February 2nd. I would like to be able to do that event. Once that is complete, I would like to do more. I will reevaluate that one after February.
Well that is the first set of goals and the BIG 5 List for this week!
What are your goals or if you must “resolutions” for 2019?